Join with others – have conversations, join local community groups, speak with friends and family more, be friendly – say hello to people that you meet.
Connect with yourself
- Like ‘Get Resilient’, learn to listen to yourself, your inner thoughts and moods – reflect.
- Enrol on a course, where you could meet like-minded people.
- Be yourself, open and honest – you are then likely to find friends with whom you feel most comfortable.
- Discover your own boundaries and those of the people in your life, so you can find happier ways of spending time together. Set a target; keep a journal for 3 months of where your time goes.
- At the end of each day, spend 10 minutes asking yourself what went well today what could be better. Then try putting it to one side and going to sleep.
- “Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world.” Get some rest.
Connect with others
- Phone or visit a friend or family member who you haven’t spoken to for a while for a chat.
- Invite friends, family or neighbours around for some food. Even sharing a bag of chips can build a sense of togetherness.
- Have a social media holiday. Agree with family, friends or colleagues, a time when you will all not use social media. It could be one hour per week on a Wednesday. See how it can build solidarity and help you feel connected.
- Pay attention, really listen to others and show you care – what are they actually telling you?
- Allocate some time to “get together” with the people in your life who count.
- Join a local community or hobby group.
Connect with Community
- Be friendly – smile, make eye contact and say hello to people when you are out and about.
- Undertake a gesture of kindness for others g. make them a brew, prepare a meal for them, do a chore for them which they are struggling to find the time to do themselves, etc.
- Ask questions and don’t give off the impression that you know everything, thereby allowing the other person the time and space they need to share their knowledge with you.
- Take a look at some of the excellent ideas on: https://secondstepblogs.wordpress.com/tag/get-connected/